Hungry to Know the Best and Worst Foods for Dental Care
Food is a major factor in your dental health. See which foods and drinks have the greatest effect on your smile.
Foods that Make your Dentist Smile
According to family dentistry experts, the secret to dental health is hidden in your kitchen. There are many foods that actually prevent tooth decay and help freshen breath. All of the following foods will improve your trips to the dentist:
- Firm, Crunchy Vegetables – Veggies like celery and carrots demand a lot of chewing, which scrubs away debris. This chewing increases saliva production, which then helps rinse and remove the foods and acids on teeth.
- Dark, Leafy Vegetables – Broccoli, bok choy, kale, and other leafy veggies help you get the needed nutrients that support dental health.
- Meat, Fish, and Tofu – All of these protein sources are very rich in phosphorus, which may also protect tooth enamel.
- Milk – High in calcium and vitamin D, this drink helps strengthen teeth and bones.
- Cheese and Yogurt – These foods are very high in calcium and phosphorus, which can protect your tooth enamel and replace minerals in the teeth.
Foods that Damage Your Dental Health
Since the food you eat has a major effect on your dental health, you need to know which foods and drinks can lead to dental care problems. Discover the dental dangers lurking in your kitchen:
- Tomatoes – Their high-acid content can cause tooth erosion, so only eat them occasionally in meals, rather than regularly as snacks.
- Candy – Sweets coat your teeth with sugars and acids that lead directly to tooth decay.
- Dried Fruit – Its sugary, sticky nature makes it get stuck in your teeth, which increases your risk of decay.
- Red and White Wine – Both can quickly stain your teeth, while the acids erode your tooth enamel.
- Soda – Its sugars can cause tooth decay and the acids can wear down your tooth enamel.
- Coffee – Its acids can eat at enamel, while severely staining your teeth.
Feed Your Dental Care Needs
It’s silly to think that you’ll only eat foods that are good for your smile, but family dentistry experts want you to strive to make healthier choices most of the time. To further protect your dental health, follow these dental care tips:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss daily.
- Visit an affordable dentist for check-ups and cleanings at least twice a year.
- If you have a dental problem, see an affordable dentist immediately to avoid further pain and problems.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Bradenton, call Manatee Dental At College Plaza today at (941) 584-4356 or make an appointment.
Manatee Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Bradenton. With 2 affiliated practices in the Bradenton area, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Manatee Dental At College Plaza, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Manatee Dental At College Plaza.